Each of our properties at the Best Log Cabin has a wood burning stove in it. These are great for keeping things toasty! If you haven’t used one before, here’s everything you need to know about lighting one.
What do I need?
We provide all that you need to light the wood burning stove in your property:
- Matches or a lighter
How to light a wood burning stove?
- Air is vital to get things going. Each wood burner has air vents. Open these fully before building your fire.
- Place a small log in the centre of the stove. Using kindling and firelighters, build a small pyramid around the log. Make sure there is space between each item so that air can flow through them. This will help to keep the fire going.
- Light the firelighters and as the kindling catches fire, close the door to the stove, leaving a gap of approximately one inch to let the air in and help keep the fire going.
- Once the kindling is burning strongly, add a few logs. Make sure you don’t smother the flames as this will make the fire go out.
- Shut the door, relax and enjoy the heat! Once the fire is properly burning you can adjust the air vents. This will help to make sure that logs last for longer. If the fire dies down too much, open the vents to circulate more air. You may also want to add coal to the fire. This will burn slowly so its great for keeping the fire going through the night.